ANNAPOLIS — Montgomery County Sentinel editorial staff took home three prestigious awards and dozens of others at the annual Maryland Delaware D.C. Press Association Conference Friday.
The paper won the Association’s 2017 News Organization of the Year in its division, by earning the highest number of awards, for a third year in a row.
Sentinel staff earned a handful of awards for “Broken Promises – Bad Dreams, A Metro Investigation,” its months-long investigation of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. The Sentinel tied with the Baltimore Sun to earn the James S. Keat Freedom of Information Award, one of the highest honors available.
For the second year in a row, the newspaper won the Michael S. Powell High School Journalist of the Year, with Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School senior Matt Cohen being recognized for his sports journalism.
MDDC officials said, “The judges were ‘blown away’ by the Montgomery County Sentinel’s ‘massive effort by a small staff’ to highlight the ongoing problems faced by the Metro.”
In total, staff won a total of 36 out of a possible 108 awards across 54 categories.
The series also earned Best of Show for investigative reporting, a first place for investigative reporting and a first place for a series.
Sentinel staff also swept the sports video category for the division and earned awards in photography, editorials, videos, breaking news videos, feature videos, continuing coverage, state news coverage, local news coverage, breaking news coverage, investigative reporting, public service, series, photo series, editorial cartoon and others.
• First in Breaking News Social Media: “Prosecutors consider additional charges” by Kathleen Stubbs
• First in Best Use of Interactive Media: “The Best of 2016” by Sentinel Staff
• First in Breaking News: “Outrage Over High School Rape” by Sentinel Staff
• First in Investigative Reporting: “Broken Promises – Bad Dreams” by Sentinel Staff
• First in State Government reporting: “ACLU sues Hogan” by Neal Earley
• First in Public Service reporting: “Broken Promises – Bad Dreams” by Sentinel Staff
• First in News-driven Multimedia Storytelling: “County Leaders reflect on Donald Trump” by Tosin Fakile and Wyatt Karem
• First in Environmental Reporting: “Study shows air pollution increases pregnancy risks” by Nickolai Sukharev
• First in Editorial: “Time for a Shield Law” by Brian Karem
• First in Editorial Cartoon: “Wash, Rinse, Repeat” by Mark Robinson
• First in Local Critical Thinking Column: “About Enduring Press Freedom” by Brian Karem
• First in Local Feature or Humor Column: “Fighting Boys to the Rescue” by Brian Karem
• First in Online Blog: “What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen budget?” by Brian Karem
• First in Feature Non Profile Story: “The Last Ride” by Neal Earley
• First in Features Driven Multimedia Storytelling: “DC Women’s March” by Sentinel Staff
• First in Series: “Broken Promises – Bad Dreams” by Sentinel Staff
• First in Photo Series: “Patton Polo Finals” by David Wolfe
• First in Best Photo Gallery: “Immigration Protest” by Mark Poetker
• First in General News Video: “Raskin rally against GOP tax plan” by Tosin Fakile
• First in Spot News Video: “Homemade Explosives found in Montgomery Park” by Tosin Fakile and Wyatt Karem
• First in Features Video: “2016 End of the Year Awards” by Wyatt, Brennan and Brian Karem
• First in Sports Video: “Sentinel’s More Bold Predictions” by Wyatt Karem
• First in Continuing Coverage Video: “State Government Coverage” by Tosin Fakile, Wyatt and Brennan Karem
• First in Editorial Blog Video: “Truth to Power” by Brian Karem
• First in Special Event Video: “Term Limit Debate” by Sentinel Special Event Staff
• First in Best Event: “Democratic Debate for County Executive” by Sentinel Staff
• Second in Religion Reporting: “Gathering for Bagels not Bombs” by Suzanne Pollak
• Second in Editorial: “When Someone Sees the Light” by Brian Karem
• Second in Online Blog: “It really should be equal justice for all” by Paul Schwartz
• Second in Feature Profile Story: “Local Man Leads Alt-Right” by Matt Hooke
• Second in Headline: “Trying to discover the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow in Rockville Theatre” by Sentinel Staff
• Second in Best Sports Action Photo: “Congressional Hosts Patton Polo Cup Finals” by David Wolfe
• Second in General News Video: “Mother continues to search for cancer cures after her son dies” by Tosin Fakile and Wyatt Karem
• Second in Features Video: “Monty Python and Holy Trump Budget” by Wyatt, Brennan and Brian Karem
• Second in Sports Video: “And NOW Sentinel’s Bold Predictions” by Wyatt Karem
• Second in Continuing Coverage Video: “County Government Coverage” by Tosin Fakile, Wyatt and Brennan Karem
• Second in Sports Column: “The Lingering Legend of Eugene Dyson” by Brandy Simms