ROCKVILLE – Burning incense led to a burning apartment building last week and two residents intent on saving their cats got a trip to the hospital for their efforts.
Montgomery County Fire Department officials say a fire at the North Creek Apartment complex in the 550 block of Burnside Drive just before midnight last Thursday was an accident.
According to Fire Department Spokesman Pete Piringer, “Firefighters arrived on the scene with smoke and fire coming from the second floor of a three-story garden style apartment building with fire extending to the top floor,” Piringer said.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control. The Red Cross is helping to relocate more than a dozen displaced tenants.
Piringer said prior to the fire units’ arrival two women ran back into the apartment building to rescue their cat. After rescuing the cat, they breathed in too much smoke and were transported to the Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit for treatment. They were released Friday morning.
The fire, caused by unattended burning incense, significantly damaged the second and third floor of the three-story apartment building.
The total cost of the damage was estimated at $75,000.