Montgomery County Fire Investigators said a house fire in Darnestown that has displaced six people has been ruled accidental and was caused by spontaneous combustion.
Just after 11:30 p.m. Thursday, units from Montgomery County Fire Department responded to the 15200 of Rollinmead Drive just off of Turkey Foot Road for a reported house on fire.
According to Montgomery County Fire Department spokesperson Pete Piringer, when firefighters arrived on the scene they encountered heavy fire conditions on both floors of the two-story house.
Piringer told the Sentinel, “Firefighters attempted several times to enter the house to make and attack on the fire, but due to heavy fire conditions they went into a defensive mode, attacking the blaze from the outside. Crews were concerned about the structural integrity of the home.”
It took firefighters over an hour to bring the fire under control. No injuries were reported.
Piringer said contractors working on the home’s deck may have improperly discarded oily rags, paint brushes and similar items in a plastic bag, resulting in spontaneous combustion.
The fire displaced two adults and four children.
Authorities say the fire caused $1.5 million in damage.